UTF-8 CuteNews is a project based on the popular
CMS CuteNews 1.4.6.
It is a script that is very easy to install and use.
I had started UTF-8 CuteNews to fix bugs and add some more security options to make CuteNews not only safer, but also more user-friendly and accessible as official development of CuteNews had been put on hold.
This is not the case anymore. CuteNews is being developed again officially and CuteNews 2 is absolutely fantastic! Security problems have been fixed, special characters are dealt with appropriately and the design has been revamped, not to mention that new features have been introduced, such as a built-in plugin system.
The purpose of UTF-8 CuteNews was to offer an "emergency solution" to CuteNews 1.4.6, which was making many users frustrated. It has served its purpose well but the future is in CuteNews 2 now. I highly recommend to everyone to try out the new version of the official CuteNews.
The main differences of UTF-8 CuteNews, compared to CuteNews 1.4.6, are the following:
- Languages UTF-8 CuteNews will display every character correctly. No question marks instead of symbols! Users can also search with characters outside of A-Z, something CuteNews 1.4.6 does not allow. A new language module allows users to translate the output to their native language.
- Captcha Spam bots surf the web to find comment forms in which they can post links to undesired websites. Automatic submissions can be prevented with the built-in captcha (anti-spam) feature of UTF-8 CuteNews — saving you the strenuous work of deleting such comments.
- Security Security is important. UTF-8 CuteNews has additional security features, such as a function which allows you to ban IP addresses automatically when they send excessive login requests, so that you can stay safe.
- Bug fixes Error messages are pesky. Numerous bugs have been fixed in UTF-8 CuteNews to make your CuteNews experience more enjoyable and to make it a more stable and reliable script. Additional fixes are contained so that UTF-8 CuteNews is compatible with the latest technology.
- Upgrading Upgrading to UTF-8 CuteNews is a very easy procedure, allowing you to keep all of your news, comments, users, templates and settings. On the outside, it looks exactly like the familiar, user-friendly CuteNews 1.4.6, except that it's robuster and more advanced.